Boston Cocktail Summit: The Hawthorne
Nestled in the former Foundation location, The Hawthorne completes the trifecta of amazing bars at the Hotel Commonwealth in the Kenmore section of Boston. This is certainly a Boston Cocktail Summit venue that you have to make it over to.
Making Your Own Vermouth
Jackson Cannon & Kevin Martin
October 4, 1:00pm-2:30pm
The Hawthorne, 500A Commonwealth Ave. Boston $25
Rebellious Cocktails & Native New England Flavors
Anthony Caporale & Jackson Cannon
October 4, 7:00pm-8:30pm
The Hawthorne, 500A Commonwealth Ave. Boston $35
- 1.5 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
- 3/4 oz Cynar
- 1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
- 2 dash Regan’s Orange Bitters
Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top.
Lin’s Favorite: La Vina Cocktail by Katie Emmerson (recipe via word o’ mouth)
- 1 oz Rye
- 1 oz Sherry
- 1 oz Amaro Nonino
- dash orange bitters
Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe glass (pairs well with the Stilton cheese plate).
Jackson Cannon’s Hand Selected Barrel Aged Bols Genever
- While supplies last, do your best to try Jackson Cannon‘s Hand Selected Aged Bols Genever. Ask about the Kopstootjie (cop-stow-tje)
- Small “Drink Specials” menu changes frequently
- If nothing immediately catches your eye, ask for a recommendation; their very talented bar staff will be happy to make a suggestion for you
- Small bar bites menu (the Pretzel Bites are a must)
- It’s refreshing to see one of the owners still behind the bar slinging drinks (not to mention he’s pretty damn good at it too)
- Sit in their “Living Room” or at one of their many cozy chairs or couches and feel at home with interior design by the Sheffields (Stephen’s art is also on display upstairs in the Hotel)
- Swizzle Sunday
- Just steps from the Kenmore Square T and bus stop
- To experience the Hotel Commonwealth compound in all of its glory, start at Island Creek Oyster Bar with oysters and the Bicyclette (St Germain, Campari and bubbles), head to The Hawthorne for a cocktail and small bite, then head down to Eastern Standard for dinner (or check out their late-night menu)
- Follow The Hawthorne bartenders with #onthebar.
If you are visiting Boston for the Summit, The Hawthorne is a must-stop, be it for a seminar or a cocktail at the end of the day.
Check out our previous venue post about the Citizen Public House.