Memorial Day Melon Bowl
Happy Memorial Day!
Here is a quick recipe for a cool, refreshing drink perfect for a Memorial Day BBQ or any hot summer day.
- Start with a mini seedless watermelon. Cut roughly a half inch off one of the ends. Save the top!
- Using an ice cream scoop (or anything similar), remove the fruit from inside the rind. If possible, save some of the juice.
- Fill inside with ice and desired beverage.
- If you are feeling ambitious, break out your tools and drill two small holes in the top for straws.
Our initial thoughts for a liquor that would compliment the watermelon was Hendrick’s gin. The cucumber hints sounded refreshing with the sweet watermelon. However, we had some cucumber vodka hidden in the depths of the liquor cabinet and thought the melon bowl would be a perfect use for it.
- 4 oz cucumber vodka
- 2 oz Aperol
- Juice of a fresh-squeezed lime
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves
- Seltzer or club soda
Combine all ingredients over ice; stir. Place melon top with two straws, sip and enjoy!
Clearly this melon bowl has many other possibilities. The great thing was that the rind kept this drink ice cold. It got better with each sip as the mint became more infused. If you want to create your own drink and want to get your proportions right, fill the melon bowl with ice then measure how much water fits in the bowl and adjust your proportions accordingly.
What are you drinking this holiday?